Director of the Smart Internet Lab & Head of the High-Performance Networks group
University of Bristol
Dimitra Simeonidou is a Full Professor at the University of Bristol, the Director of the Smart Internet Lab and Head of the High-Performance Networks group (HPN). Her research is focusing in the fields of high performance networks, programmable networks, wireless-optical convergence and smart city infrastructures. Dimitra has been the Technical Architect and the CTO of the smart city project Bristol Is Open. She is currently leading Bristol’s 5G urban pilots.
She is the author and co-author of over 400 publications, numerous patents and several major contributions to standards.
She has been co-founder of two spin-out companies, the latest being the University of Bristol VC funded spin-out Zeetta Networks delivering SDN solutions for enterprise networks.
Dimitra is a Royal Society Wolfson scholar.
3:20 pm - 4:00 pm
Delivering smart cities and digitally enabled urban transformation
Theatre: Digital and Technology
- The progress of country wide urban transformation
- Ensuring cities are underpinned by the correct digital infrastructure to address present and future urban challenges
- The uptake of cloud technology across the public sector, and exploiting data insights/streams more intelligently
- Collaborating cross sector to identify best practice and city challenges, to exploit the opportunities presented by new and emerging technologies that can drive innovation in areas such as, Health and social care, Mobility, Planning and regeneration
- The challenges and vulnerabilities more connected cities are exposed to and what steps can be taken to combat this