Essex County Council
Gavin took up his new role as Chief Executive of Essex County Council, one of the largest authorities in England, in January 2016 and has overall responsibility for the Council’s Revenue Budget (£2.27 billion), Capital Budget (£200 million) and 6,100 FTE.
Gavin joined Swindon Borough Council (SBC) in 2004 and became Chief Executive in 2006, having previously worked in a variety of private sector organisations and market sectors.
Gavin was listed as one of the top 50 New Radicals in the Sunday Observer’s national campaign for Britain’s most innovative leaders and voted one of the most influential leaders in Local Government. Gavin is Chair of SOLACE Group.
Gavin is passionate about change in the local government, bringing together stakeholders and partner organisations to develop relationships at the local, regional and national levels in order to deliver a transformed service provision. Gavin is enthusiastic about embracing the business benefits of diversity and using these to the advantage of leading the organisation
10:10 am - 10:50 am
Building resilience in your workforce & community
Theatre: Workforce and Leadership (2019)
- Developing adaptable strategies in the face of financial, workforce and community crisis
- Ensuring the skills of the local authority workforce are aligned with any frontier planning
- Putting measures in place to provide personal and individual support to staff and leadership
- Ensuring communities are more involved with and prepared for emergencies
- Leveraging community networks more effectively so that time is not wasted communicating during crisis periods
- Enabling communities to respond and recover from emergencies more quickly