Nicola has worked in ICT for the past 25 years having graduated from Napier University. Her career spans retail, finance, outsourcing and the public sector.
She joined Aberdeenshire Council as Head of ICT in 2011, with a remit to bring about change to the ICT service. Since 2011, Nicola has led the ICT service through a transformation programme, implementing new technology, strengthening the skills of the ICT Team and the digital skills of the workforce. Nicola is now a key player in developing the Aberdeenshire Councils approach to Digital Services and bringing innovation to the rural North East – from Mountain to Sea.
Nicola is the current President of SOCITM Scotland and played a leading role in the setup of Scotland’s Local Government Digital Digital Office and the creation of shaded CDO and CTO roles across Local Government.
10:05 am - 10:40 am
The ethics of technology, managing risk against opportunity
Theatre: Digital and Technology
- Striking a balance between the benefits of new technology, and the ethical risks they pose in complex and disjointed work environments
- The use of AI, RPA, Machine Learning, Chat Bots, Cloud and more
- Instilling confidence in the face of previous technology scandals
- Implementing new protections at every stage of transformation
- Exploring the cultural barriers and fears linked to the abuse of technology and the jobs they may replace
- The opportunity for job creation in the context of more value-added tasks
- The opportunity for skills development in the area of coding, robotics, AI management etc