Head of Integrated Commissioning and Procurement
Manchester City Council
Peter manages the collaborative procurement programme for the Greater Manchester Authorities which involves achievement of value for money solutions through joint working whilst also maximising the social, economic and environmental implications of procurement decisions.
Peter has worked in Local Government for over 30 years. Initially as a Chartered Civil Engineer, then as Head of Service with responsibility for technical and front line services before becoming involved in procurement and efficiency related programmes.
Peter has worked on collaborative public sector projects since 2004, originally engaged by the North East Centre of Excellence to support and develop procurement and efficiency capability, then for the NE Improvement and Efficiency Partnership delivering the Construction & Asset Management, Waste & Environment and Climate Change Programmes.
The AGMA Procurement Hub has facilitated a common approach to Social Value across the GM footprint which is embodied in the GMCA’s Social Value Policy. This approach was recognised by SOPO (the Society of Procurement Officers) who awarded their Excellence in Delivering Social Value Award to the AGMA Procurement Hub and the iNetwork who awarded it the Public Service Innovation Award.
12:50 pm - 1:40 pm
Maximising your procurement profile & engaging early with the supplier market
Theatre: Commissioning & Procurement
- Building up the profile of the procurement function to maximise its influence across markets
- Alerting suppliers to the procurement activity of purchasing authorities much earlier
- Engaging with the markets themselves much earlier
- Using ‘soft engagement’ as a tool
- Providing suppliers with more time and information to craft their bids, and match solutions to tender requirements more effectively
- Facilitating increased SME and Not for Profit engagement
- Attracting the right talent to the procurement profession
- Developing commercial, contract management and negotiation skills
- Developing competitive procurement career paths